Victorian Craft: Peacock Fan
on July 27, 2010 9:16 am
With these simple directions, create an elegant Victorian fan featuring peacock feathers. The fan was originally featured in an 1883 women’s magazine.
- Paper fan with long handle. Dark wood would work best.
- Peacock-blue satin or green satin. Try to match color to feathers. Thread to match.
- Assortment of peacock feathers.
- Small bird breast or bird head — a blue color matching the feathers would be best.
- Satin ribbon to match fabric or a bright cardinal color.
- Glue or paste.
- Take the paper fan and cut the fan as nearly the shape of the model shown as can be done. Cover this on both sides with some peacock-blue satin or green satin.
- Next glue on the feathers on both sides, adding a few stitches to keep them more secure. It is important to arrange them with neatness and precision to create the appearance of a peacock tail.
- Attach the breast or head of a small bird to the front.
- Add a nice bow of satin ribbon to match, or a bright cardinal color for a pretty finish.